Skip to main content
Lady Bird Johnson's Daily Diary
Limit your search
Specific Item Type
- the White House by chopper with the President, Joe Califano, Marie, and party; then from Andrews
to New York City; to St. Patrick's Cathedral for funeral services for
Senator Robert Kennedy.
Motorcade to air field; returned to Andrews Air Force Base.
- THE WHITE HOUSE
MRS. LYNDON B. JOHNSON, Daily Diary
Mrs. Johnson began her day at (Place)
Date Thursday, June 6, 1968
The White House
(The news has come that Senator Robert Kennedy has died in Los
9:07 Left National Airport on Eastern Shuttle.
2. 10:57 Arrived at the Hotel Pierre, New York City. Was met by Mr. Robert Dowling, the
Fitted clothes with Adele Simpson, Miss Treyz, and Mrs. Raines (Adele Simpson's
- :50 To elevator w/ President, Mr. and Mrs. McCone, Robert Kennedy, and Secretary Hodges
7:07 To helicopter and to Air Force One. Dinner in flight.
8:20 Arrive White House.
8:30 In President's Bedroom w/ President and Governor Connally.
- in dressing room.
3:27 Called Bess.
3:38 Called Paul Fischer.
3:39 With Luci, Helene, and Marilyn to the theater to see Luci's movies of R&R in
Hawaii and documentary on "Robert Kennedy Remembered."
4:40 To the second floor.
To Marilyn and Helene's office
- . The President talked about our retiring
soon -- he wasn't very happy about the pancakes.
9:30 Sunbathed on the upper deck.
11:00 Played bridge on the fantail with Jake, Beryl, and Liz Roberts. The exhaust fumes
made me sleepy. (Watched Senator Dirksen
- all dinner guests;
to the State Dining Room for dinner.
10:35 To the parlors for coffee.
6. 10:54 To the East Room for entertainment. Robert Merrill and The New Christy Minstrels!!
11:40 To the North Portico with the President to bid goodbye to guests
- to have lunch
with the President.
2:18 To Mr. Per's shop for comb-out.
3. 2:50 Returned to the White House.
3:25 To the first floor -- had pictures taken with the house guests in the Red Room.
3:40 To the Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Garden with Erv Duggan
- . Rose Kennedy, Mrs. Joan Kennedy, Dr. Corridan
re: plane crash - Ted Kennedy
Talked to Lynda re: flight from Hawaii - man threatened wife, etc.
11:30 Dictating machine
3:30 Met Ashton's parents
4:00 Sun roof in bathing suit - read "The Best Plays
- . Wore shocking pink dress
1. Eight-year-old spoon!
9:00 Left the hotel with Lynda.
9:45 Left New Orleans Airport with Lynda, press, and staff.
2. Studied Cape Kennedy info; looked over speeches.
2. Lunch en route. Gave little tour guide speech.